Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI | |
LJS 289 Algorismus
Call numberLJS 289
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958578743503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- between 1450 and 1475?
Pedagogical treatise on commercial and practical arithmetic, with extensive use of arabic numerals, descriptions of operations such as multiplication and division, and particular attention to proportions (using the rule of three), money-changing (fiorini, bolognini, and ducati), and alloys of precious metals.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from text of preface (f. 2r).
Extent98 leaves : 113 x 90 (72 x 65) mm. bound to 120 x 105 mm
CollationParchment, i + 98 + i; 1¹⁰ 2¹² 3¹⁰ 4-6¹² 7-9¹⁰; 1-98, contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto. Catchwords on the last versos of gatherings 1-8.
BindingContemporary (15th-century) blind-tooled leather, possibly Neapolitan; rebacked.
- Appears in Fiammetta Soave's catalog One hundred fine & rare books and manuscripts (1994), no. 3; sold to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, May 1999.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Arithmetic--Early works to 1900
- Mathematics--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Italian--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts LJS 289: Algorismus are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
0055_0001.tif (11.1 MB)
0055_0001_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
0055_0001_web.jpg (382.3 KB)