Collection ID: 0032 | Metadata type: TEI | |
MS Or 169 - FOLIO al-Qurʼān. / [القرآن]
Other related names
- Smith, David Eugene, 1860-1944, former owner
Call numberMS Or 169 - FOLIO
(New York, NY. 10027, Columbia University., Rare Book and Manuscript Library)
LanguageArabic with translation in Persian
- 1818 or 1819
Iran or South Asia?
Incomplete copy of the Qurʼān with interlinear Persian translation containing the last four words of 16:126 to the end (114:6). A few leaves have been replaced and rewritten in two different hands (f. 5, f. 243-247). Most leaves have been repaired along the outside edges, obscuring some marginal notations.
- Manuscript codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Former shelfmark: MS X893.7 K84 I157.
ExtentI, 247 leaves : 300 x 240 (250 x 180) mm, bound to 310 x 245 mm
FoliationModern foliation added in pencil, upper left recto; catchwords have been added to some versos, lower left.
BindingBrown-black leather with blind-stamped central mandorla with two pendants along the vertical axis.
Rubrications and translation in red. Red and white, or sometimes red and green knot motif marginal medallions. Red open circles mark verse ends. Sūrah titles in green, except in the replacement pages where they are red.
- Gift of David Eugene Smith, 1931-1934.
- Customs stamp solar dated 1312/1934 (f. 1r, 247v); owner's stamp (Flyleaf 1r).
- Sold by Mottahedeh Resht (trademark pasted into inside front cover).
- Manuscripts, Arabic
- Manuscripts, Persian
- Blind tooled (decoration)
- Stamps (Provenance)
- Early works to 1800
- These images and the content of Rare Book and Manuscript Library MS Or 169 - FOLIO: al-Qurʼān. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Columbia University, Rare Book & Manuscript Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Rare Book and Manuscript Library MS Or 169 - FOLIO: al-Qurʼān.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1r — [al-Qurʼān].
- fol. 2r — Example of knot motif marginal medallion
Inside front cover
6928_0001.tif (108.7 MB)
6928_0001_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
6928_0001_web.jpg (288.3 KB)
6928_0004.tif (108.7 MB)
6928_0004_thumb.jpg (6.7 KB)
6928_0004_web.jpg (366.5 KB)
6928_0006.tif (108.7 MB)
6928_0006_thumb.jpg (7.0 KB)
6928_0006_web.jpg (370.9 KB)
Decoration: Example of knot motif marginal medallion
Inside back cover
6928_0502.tif (108.7 MB)
6928_0502_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
6928_0502_web.jpg (286.7 KB)