Collection ID: 0032 | Metadata type: TEI | |
MS Or 173 Ziyārat-i ʻĀshūrāʼ. / زیارت عاشوراء
Other related names
- Smith, David Eugene, 1860-1944, former owner
Call numberMS Or 173
(New York, NY. 10027, Columbia University., Rare Book and Manuscript Library)
LanguageArabic and Persian
- 17--? - 18--?
Book of prayers to say during visits to sacred sites including during the ʻĀshūrā pilgrimage, when visiting the grave of al-Ḥusayn ibn ʻAlī. Prayers in Arabic with Persian instruction and some translation.
- Manuscript codex.
- Title from headpiece (f. 1v).
Extent7, 78, 15, 9 leaves : 180 x 112 (118 x 52) mm, bound to 183 x 115 x 14 mm
BindingLacquer binding with red, orange and black designs. Purple paper doublure.
Gold and polychrome illuminated headpiece (f. 1v). Border-rules in red, gold, blue; page-frame ruled in black; lines ruled in gold. Rubrications in red and blue.
- Gift of David Eugene Smith, 1931-1934.
- Customs stamp dated 1312/1894-95 (f. 1r, 85v) and an undated customs stamp (f. 85v). Owner's stamp (f. 1r).
- Muslim pilgrims and pilgrimages--Iraq--Karbalāʼ--Early works to 1800
- Shiite shrines--Early works to 1800
- Prayer--Islam--Early works to 1800
- Tenth of Muḥarram--Prayers--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Arabic
- Lacquered bindings (Binding)
- Stamps (Provenance)
- These images and the content of Rare Book and Manuscript Library MS Or 173: Ziyārat-i ʻĀshūrāʼ. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Columbia University, Rare Book & Manuscript Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Rare Book and Manuscript Library MS Or 173: Ziyārat-i ʻĀshūrāʼ.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1v — Ziyārat-i ʻĀshūrāʼ.
- fol. 1v — Illuminated headpiece.
Inside front cover
6927_0001.tif (35.9 MB)
6927_0001_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
6927_0001_web.jpg (250.9 KB)
6927_0017.tif (38.1 MB)
6927_0017_thumb.jpg (5.0 KB)
6927_0017_web.jpg (320.3 KB)
Section: Ziyārat-i ʻĀshūrāʼ.
Decoration: Illuminated headpiece.