Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.FrancisAlisonSermons1752-1755 Francis Alison sermons, 1752-1755
TitleFrancis Alison sermons, 1752-1755
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
- local-identifier: RG 294-1-1
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Francis Alison was born in Ireland in 1705. He studied at the University of Glasgow before traveling to America in 1735. In 1737 he became pastor of Pennsylvania's New London Presbyterian Church. Ten years later he opened an academy in New London. Students included three signers of the Declaration of Independence and the Secretary of the Second Continental Congress. In 1752 Alison moved to Philadelphia to take charge of the Philadelphia Academy. He was later appointed Vice-Provost of the newly established University of Pennsylvania, as well as Professor of Moral Philosophy. He was also assistant minister at the First Presbyterian Church. Alison died in 1779. The sermons herein date from 1752 to 1755, but notes have been added when the same sermons were given at later dates as well.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Presbyterian Church
- First Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Alison, Francis, 1705-1779
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.FrancisAlisonSermons1752-1755: Francis Alison sermons, 1752-1755 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.FrancisAlisonSermons1752-1755: Francis Alison sermons, 1752-1755. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside Front Cover 1
11784_0001.tif (5.5 MB)
11784_0001_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
11784_0001_web.jpg (394.2 KB)
Inside Back Cover 1
11784_0098.tif (6.4 MB)
11784_0098_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
11784_0098_web.jpg (357.0 KB)