Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.SecondPresbyterianChurchSchoolCommCorrAgreementAccount Schoolmaster records, 1786-1791, John Ely
TitleSchoolmaster records, 1786-1791, John Ely
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.) (https://viaf.org/viaf/129086513)
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
- local-identifier: RG 33-5-4
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
In 1787, schoolmaster John Ely agreed to rent the Second Presbyterian schoolhouse and provide instruction to local children on reading, writing, arithmetic, and religion, with Second Presbyterian serving as a patron to the school and referring children of parishioners for instruction there. These seven loose documents include Ely's contract with Second Presbyterian, and letters from Ely regarding the need to enlarge the schoolhouse, a proposal to create "an academy for the instruction of young ladies," the employment of tutors and ushers, and an account of his expenditures in improving the building.
- Alternative Title: Second Presbyterian Church, School Committee, Correspondence, Agreement, Account
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Public schools
- Church schools
- Church buildings
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.SecondPresbyterianChurchSchoolCommCorrAgreementAccount: Schoolmaster records, 1786-1791, John Ely are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.SecondPresbyterianChurchSchoolCommCorrAgreementAccount: Schoolmaster records, 1786-1791, John Ely. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.