Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons002 Gilbert Tennent sermons 2, Sermon on Psalms 116, 1743
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 2, Sermon on Psalms 116, 1743
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. This sermon explores the complicated relationship between man and God, through a meditation on the behavior of David: first under stress and angry, then counseling with his friends and communing with himself, then happy and striving to show publicly his gratitude to God. Tennent ends the sermon in an appeal for funds toward a new church building, as evidence of congregants' gratitude for God's help and mercy.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Psalms
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons002: Gilbert Tennent sermons 2, Sermon on Psalms 116, 1743 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons002: Gilbert Tennent sermons 2, Sermon on Psalms 116, 1743. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.