Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons012 Gilbert Tennent sermons 12, "De judicio ultimo" (On the last judgement), 1743
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 12, "De judicio ultimo" (On the last judgement), 1743
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. At the beginning of this sermon, Tennent references the following biblical verses: Ecclesiastes 11:9, 1 Thessalonians 5:2, Hebrews 9:27, and Psalms 50:3. He follows with a clear description of what is likely to happen at the coming of Christ, to which he gives a flavor of an English courtroom and which he calls "the last Asize." He describes the separation of sheep and goats, and the qualities of the last judgment: conducted in a setting to terrorize the impious; critical, unavoidable, impartial, and final. The reward for those badly treated in this life is in the next life of recompense. Tennent provides evidence for man's innate fear of judgment and his ability to reason combining to create a bad conscience after evil-doing; and the suddenness of the End of Days, which should keep people alert. He ends with an exhortation to young people at the end, with practical steps to take in preparation for the last judgement. From dates noted on the text, it looks like Tennent wrote the sermon in 1743, and delivered it again in 1745 or 1746, 1748, 1753, 1756, 1758, and 1760.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Thessalonians, 1st
- Bible. Ecclesiastes
- Bible. Hebrews
- Bible. Psalms
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons012: Gilbert Tennent sermons 12, "De judicio ultimo" (On the last judgement), 1743 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons012: Gilbert Tennent sermons 12, "De judicio ultimo" (On the last judgement), 1743. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.