Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons013 Gilbert Tennent sermons 13, "Sermo Supra Rev. 3:20" (Sermon on Revelation 3:20), 1743 or 1744
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 13, "Sermo Supra Rev. 3:20" (Sermon on Revelation 3:20), 1743 or 1744
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Revelation 3:20: "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." In this sermon, Tennent enumerates three central points regarding this Bible verse: Christ's patience in standing and knocking; the sinner's first duty, to listen to Christ's word and thereby know human fallibility and receive his mercy; and the sinner's second duty, to open the door to Christ, laying aside ignorance, presumption, and prejudice and taking on acceptance and obedience. In return, the erstwhile sinner is absorbed into the spirit and image of Christ and shares in his love, "the fullness, the freeness, the sweetness." Tennent describes how surprised converts are at these feelings, and how the wrath of God increases if the promises made are rejected: "if you shut him out, you shut the Devil in." From dates noted in the text, it looks like Tennent wrote this sermon in 1743 or 1744, and delivered it again 1751 and 1760.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Revelation
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons013: Gilbert Tennent sermons 13, "Sermo Supra Rev. 3:20" (Sermon on Revelation 3:20), 1743 or 1744 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons013: Gilbert Tennent sermons 13, "Sermo Supra Rev. 3:20" (Sermon on Revelation 3:20), 1743 or 1744. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.