Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons014 Gilbert Tennent sermons 14, "De Hexameron" (On the six days of creation), 1744
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 14, "De Hexameron" (On the six days of creation), 1744
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. In this sermon, Tennant talks about the six days of creation. In the beginning of the sermon, he cites Genesis 1:1 and Psalms 89:11. Although Tennent mentions aspects of scientific theory, the sermon is Bible-based, geocentric, with the Earth as the center of the universe and man as the being for whom the world was made. The Fall ruined the previous harmony among the animals, plants, and man, and brought about suffering. Tennent exhorts man to live up to the beauty of creation, while at the same time not placing too much value on his Earthly life and gain. From the dates noted in the manuscript, it looks like Tennent wrote this sermon in 1744, and delivered it again in 1747, 1751, and 1756.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Genesis
- Bible. Psalms
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons014: Gilbert Tennent sermons 14, "De Hexameron" (On the six days of creation), 1744 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons014: Gilbert Tennent sermons 14, "De Hexameron" (On the six days of creation), 1744. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.