Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons016 Gilbert Tennent sermons 16, "De Federe operum," (On the covenant of works), 1744
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 16, "De Federe operum," (On the covenant of works), 1744
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent wrote this sermon about the covenant God made with Adam, and notes the following Bible verse on page 1: Genesis 2:16-17, "And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." From dates noted on the manuscript, it appears Tennent wrote the sermon in 1744, and delivered it again in 1747, 1751, and 1758. Tennet's sermon "De federe nature (On the nature of the covenant)" follows this one.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Genesis
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons016: Gilbert Tennent sermons 16, "De Federe operum," (On the covenant of works), 1744 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons016: Gilbert Tennent sermons 16, "De Federe operum," (On the covenant of works), 1744. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.