Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons018 Gilbert Tennent sermons 18, "De commune Spiritus" (On communion with the Holy Ghost), 1744
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 18, "De commune Spiritus" (On communion with the Holy Ghost), 1744
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent wrote this sermon about the ability of man to commune with God's holy spirit. He begins by citing the following Bible verses: Genesis 6:3, "And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years." Luke 19:42, "Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes." Revelation 22:11, "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still." Isaiah 55:6, "Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near." From dates noted on this manuscript, it appears Tennent wrote this sermon in 1744, and delivered it again in 1745.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Genesis
- Bible. Luke
- Bible. Revelation
- Bible. Isaiah
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons018: Gilbert Tennent sermons 18, "De commune Spiritus" (On communion with the Holy Ghost), 1744 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons018: Gilbert Tennent sermons 18, "De commune Spiritus" (On communion with the Holy Ghost), 1744. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.