Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons023 Gilbert Tennent sermons 23, "De Providentia morali" (On the heedfulness of morality), 1744
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 23, "De Providentia morali" (On the heedfulness of morality), 1744
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent begins this sermon on the heedfulness of morality by citing two Bible verses, 1 Peter 5:7 "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you;" and Psalms 37:5 "Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass." From dates noted on the manuscript, it appears Tennent wrote this sermon in 1744, and delivered it again in 1746 or 1747, 1749, 1750, 1756, and 1758.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Psalms
- Bible. Peter, 1st
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons023: Gilbert Tennent sermons 23, "De Providentia morali" (On the heedfulness of morality), 1744 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons023: Gilbert Tennent sermons 23, "De Providentia morali" (On the heedfulness of morality), 1744. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.