Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons026 Gilbert Tennent sermons 26, "De Sabatto"(On the Sabbath), 1744
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 26, "De Sabatto"(On the Sabbath), 1744
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent begins this sermon about the Sabbath by citing the following Bible verses: Isaiah 58:13-14, "If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it." Ezekiel 23:38, "Moreover this they have done unto me: they have defiled my sanctuary in the same day, and have profaned my sabbaths." From dates noted in the manuscript, it appears Tennent wrote this sermon in 1744, and delivered it again in 1745, 1747, 1751, 1755, and 1760.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Isaiah
- Bible. Ezekiel
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons026: Gilbert Tennent sermons 26, "De Sabatto"(On the Sabbath), 1744 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons026: Gilbert Tennent sermons 26, "De Sabatto"(On the Sabbath), 1744. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.