Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons049 Gilbert Tennent sermons 49, "De glorioso Evangelio" (On the glorious gospel), 1744
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 49, "De glorioso Evangelio" (On the glorious gospel), 1744
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent begins this sermon about the gospel by citing 2 Corinthians 4:4, "In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them." He also cites 1 Timothy 1:11, "According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust." From dates noted in this manuscript, it appears Tennent wrote this sermon in 1744, then delivered it again in 1758.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Timothy, 1st
- Bible. Corinthians, 2nd
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons049: Gilbert Tennent sermons 49, "De glorioso Evangelio" (On the glorious gospel), 1744 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons049: Gilbert Tennent sermons 49, "De glorioso Evangelio" (On the glorious gospel), 1744. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside back cover
11841_0015.tif (56.4 MB)
11841_0015_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
11841_0015_web.jpg (260.5 KB)