Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons056 Gilbert Tennent sermons 56, "De Paracleto" (On the Paraclete), 1744
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 56, "De Paracleto" (On the Paraclete), 1744
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent wrote this sermon on the Paraclete, which in Christian theology, refers to the Holy Spirit as an advocate, counselor or comforter. Tennent refers to the Bible verses John 16:7, Lamentations 1:16, and John 14:16 in his discussion of this subject. From dates noted in the manuscript, it looks like Tennent wrote this sermon in 1744, then delivered it again in 1746, 1748, 1751, 1757, and 1761.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. John
- Bible. Lamentations
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons056: Gilbert Tennent sermons 56, "De Paracleto" (On the Paraclete), 1744 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons056: Gilbert Tennent sermons 56, "De Paracleto" (On the Paraclete), 1744. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside back cover
11848_0007.tif (65.4 MB)
11848_0007_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
11848_0007_web.jpg (229.5 KB)