Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons077 Gilbert Tennent sermons 77, "De fructuositate" (On fruitfulness), 1745
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 77, "De fructuositate" (On fruitfulness), 1745
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent cites three Bible verses in this sermon on the subject of "fruitfulness:" First, Matthew 3:10, "And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire." Second, John 15:8, "Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples." Third, Luke 13:7, "Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?" From dates noted in the manuscript, it looks like Tennent wrote this sermon in 1744, and delivered it again in 1745 or 1746, 1747, 1748, 1750 and 1755. However, the back cover proclaims "A sermon occasioned by the Late proclamation for a general Fast, preached at Philadelphia January 7, 1747."
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Matthew
- Bible. John
- Bible. Luke
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons077: Gilbert Tennent sermons 77, "De fructuositate" (On fruitfulness), 1745 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons077: Gilbert Tennent sermons 77, "De fructuositate" (On fruitfulness), 1745. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.