Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons111 Gilbert Tennent sermons 111, "De Manna" (On manna), 1748
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 111, "De Manna" (On manna), 1748
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent wrote this sermon on the topic of "manna," which, in a Biblical context, refers to food supplied miraculously by God, or spiritual nourishment such as the consecrated bread and wine consumed during the Eucharist. He begins the sermon by citing 1 Corinthians 10:3, "And did all eat the same spiritual meat." From dates noted in the manuscript, it looks like Tennent wrote this sermon in 1748, and delivered it again in 1751.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Corinthians, 1st
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons111: Gilbert Tennent sermons 111, "De Manna" (On manna), 1748 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons111: Gilbert Tennent sermons 111, "De Manna" (On manna), 1748. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.