Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons116 Gilbert Tennent sermons 116, "De testimonio interni" (On internal testimony), 1748 or 1749
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 116, "De testimonio interni" (On internal testimony), 1748 or 1749
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent begins this sermon, "On internal testimony," by citing 1 John 5:10, "He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son." He also cites John 7:17, "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." From dates noted in the manuscript, it looks like Tennent wrote this sermon in 1748 or 1749, then delivered it again in 1750 and 1760.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. John
- Bible. Epistle of John, 1st
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons116: Gilbert Tennent sermons 116, "De testimonio interni" (On internal testimony), 1748 or 1749 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons116: Gilbert Tennent sermons 116, "De testimonio interni" (On internal testimony), 1748 or 1749. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.