Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons123 Gilbert Tennent sermons 123, "De periculis Divitiarum" (On the dangers of riches), 1750
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 123, "De periculis Divitiarum" (On the dangers of riches), 1750
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent begins this sermon, "On the dangers of riches," with reference to Proverbs 30:7-9, "Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die: Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain." He also references 1 Timothy 6:9, "But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition." From dates noted in the manuscript, it looks like Tennent wrote this sermon in 1750, then delivered it again in 1752, 1755, and 1760.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Proverbs
- Bible. Timothy, 1st
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons123: Gilbert Tennent sermons 123, "De periculis Divitiarum" (On the dangers of riches), 1750 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons123: Gilbert Tennent sermons 123, "De periculis Divitiarum" (On the dangers of riches), 1750. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.