Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons124 Gilbert Tennent sermons 124, "invitatio a penitentia" (Invitation to repentance), 1750
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 124, "invitatio a penitentia" (Invitation to repentance), 1750
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. This manuscript contains two related sermons on the subject of repentance. The first sermon is a rumination on Hosea 14:1-3, "O israel, return unto the Lord thy God; for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity. Take with you words, and turn to the Lord: say unto him, Take away all iniquity, and receive us graciously: so will we render the calves of our lips. Asshur shall not save us; we will not ride upon horses: neither will we say any more to the work of our hands, Ye are our gods: for in thee the fatherless findeth mercy." The second sermon is a rumination on the following verse, Hosea 14:4, " I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him." From dates noted in the manuscript, it looks like Tennent wrote these sermons in 1750, then redelivered one or both of them in 1752, 1755, and 1757.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Hosea
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons124: Gilbert Tennent sermons 124, "invitatio a penitentia" (Invitation to repentance), 1750 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons124: Gilbert Tennent sermons 124, "invitatio a penitentia" (Invitation to repentance), 1750. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.