Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons126 Gilbert Tennent sermons 126, "De corde ? posesso a demone" (On the heart possessed by a demon), 1750
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 126, "De corde ? posesso a demone" (On the heart possessed by a demon), 1750
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. The front page of this sermon, which contains the title, is torn and obscures Tennent's wording. From the first lines of Tennent's text, however, it seems the title probably loosely translates to "The heart of a sinner is the palace of the devil." Tennent begins the sermon with reference to Luke 11:21-22. From dates noted in the manuscript, it looks like Tennent wrote this sermon in 1750, then delivered it again in 1760.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Luke
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons126: Gilbert Tennent sermons 126, "De corde ? posesso a demone" (On the heart possessed by a demon), 1750 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons126: Gilbert Tennent sermons 126, "De corde ? posesso a demone" (On the heart possessed by a demon), 1750. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.