Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons131 Gilbert Tennent sermons 131, Sermon on following God's teaching and statutes, 1751
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 131, Sermon on following God's teaching and statutes, 1751
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent supports his exhortation to follow God's teaching and statutes in this sermon by citing Psalms 25:5, "Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day;" Job 34:32, "That which I see not teach thou me;" and Psalms 119:33, "Teach me O Lord the way of thy Statutes, and I shall keep it unto the end." From dates noted in the manuscript, it looks like Tennent wrote this sermon in 1751, then delivered it again in 1759 and 1761.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Psalms
- Bible. Job
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons131: Gilbert Tennent sermons 131, Sermon on following God's teaching and statutes, 1751 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons131: Gilbert Tennent sermons 131, Sermon on following God's teaching and statutes, 1751. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside front cover
11922_0001.tif (14.3 MB)
11922_0001_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
11922_0001_web.jpg (350.0 KB)