Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons134 Gilbert Tennent sermons 134, Sermon on Matthew 5:10-12, 1752
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 134, Sermon on Matthew 5:10-12, 1752
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent wrote this sermon about Matthew 5:10-12, "Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you." From dates noted in the manuscript, it looks like Tennent wrote this sermon in 1752, then delivered it again in 1763.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Matthew
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons134: Gilbert Tennent sermons 134, Sermon on Matthew 5:10-12, 1752 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons134: Gilbert Tennent sermons 134, Sermon on Matthew 5:10-12, 1752. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside back cover
11925_0022.tif (19.5 MB)
11925_0022_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
11925_0022_web.jpg (331.5 KB)