Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons147 Gilbert Tennent sermons 147, "De intregritate" (On uprightness), 1758
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 147, "De intregritate" (On uprightness), 1758
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent begins this sermon, on the subject of uprightness, by citing John 1:47, "Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!" He also cites Psalms 84:11, "For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly." From dates noted in the manuscript, it looks like Tennent wrote this sermon in 1758, then delivered it again in 1759, 1760, 1761, and 1763.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Psalms
- Bible. John
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons147: Gilbert Tennent sermons 147, "De intregritate" (On uprightness), 1758 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons147: Gilbert Tennent sermons 147, "De intregritate" (On uprightness), 1758. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside Front Cover
11938_0001.tif (13.1 MB)
11938_0001_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
11938_0001_web.jpg (328.3 KB)