Collection ID: 0036 | Metadata type: TEI | |
PHS.TennentSermons153 Gilbert Tennent sermons 153, "De Securitate" (On security), 1756
TitleGilbert Tennent sermons 153, "De Securitate" (On security), 1756
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Presbyterian Historical Society)
PublisherPresbyterian Historical Society
Gilbert Tennent (1703-1764) was an Irish-American Presbyterian clergyman, and one of the leaders of the Great Awakening. Tennent begins this sermon, on the subject of security, by citing several Bible verses: Zephaniah 1:12, "And it shall come to pass at that time, that I will search Jerusalem with candles, and punish the men that are settled on their lees: that say in their heart, The LORD will not do good, neither will he do evil." Proverbs 23:34, "Yea thou shalt be as he that lyeth downe in the midst of the sea, or as he that lyeth upon the top of a mast." Amos 6:1, "Woe to them that are at ease in Zion, and trust in the mountain of Samaria, which are named chief of the nations, to whom the house of Israel came!" From dates noted in the manuscript, it looks like Tennent wrote this sermon in 1756, then delivered it again in 1761. Note: The first page in the manuscript is numbered as page 12, with page 1 coming after that. Also, the last pages of the manuscript are torn at the corners, obscuring some text.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Great Awakening
- Bible. Zephaniah
- Bible. Proverbs
- Bible. Amos
- Presbyterian Church
- Second Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Tennent, Gilbert, 1703-1764
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons153: Gilbert Tennent sermons 153, "De Securitate" (On security), 1756 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Presbyterian Historical Society has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Presbyterian Historical Society PHS.TennentSermons153: Gilbert Tennent sermons 153, "De Securitate" (On security), 1756. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside front cover
11944_0001.tif (13.4 MB)
11944_0001_thumb.jpg (5.0 KB)
11944_0001_web.jpg (349.6 KB)