Saint George's United Methodist Church of Philadelphia

Repository ID: 0046 | Metadata type: TEI

Documents from St. George's United Methodist Church of Philadelphia



Unless otherwise stated, all images and their contents from St. George's United Methodist Church of Philadelphia hosted here are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for more information on terms of use:


Unless otherwise stated, to the extent possible under law, St. George's United Methodist Church of Philadelphia has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to its metadata hosted here. This work is published in the United States. For a summary of CC0 see:

Legal code:

Intended Users

The data presented on OPenn is intended for aggregators, digital humanists, and scholars who have been directed here to procure high-resolution images and their associated metadata. It is presented in a manner most likely to ensure its long-term digital preservation.

About St. George's United Methodist Church of Philadelphia

Historic St. George's United Methodist Church of Philadelphia is the oldest Methodist Church in America. Located in Philadelphia, the church was founded by Captain Thomas Webb and the Methodist Society of Philadelphia in 1769 for the purpose of practicing the Methodist religion. In December of 1769, Joseph Pilmore, a missionary of John Wesley, held the first prayer meeting at the church followed later by Thomas Coke and Bishop Francis Asbury. Bishop Asbury was the first pastor of St. George's United Methodist Church and ordained as many as 35 ministers in the Methodist faith within America during his travels. Two African Americans, Richard Allen and Absalom Jones, licensed as lay preachers of Methodism, eventually left the church because of racial tensions and formed two new congregations. Richard Allen formed Mother Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church. Absalom Jones turned to the Episcopal faith and established St. Thomas' African Episcopal Church. St. George's is known as "the church that moved the bridge," as the Benjamin Franklin Bridge was rerouted in the 1920s so the church would not be demolished by its construction. St. George's records consist of conference letters; account books; baptism, death, and marriage records; as well as journals, diaries, etc.

Image standards and specifications

The materials from St. George's United Methodist Church of Philadelphia on OPenn were scanned as part of a CLIR-funded project to digitize the early records of Philadelphia’s oldest congregations. Materials were digitized at the Regional Digital Imaging Center of the Athenaeum of Philadelphia.

Image specifications

Archival masters are at least 300 ppi 24-bit color uncompressed TIFF images. Most images are scanned at 600 ppi. Archival images have been cropped and rotated, but have not been sharpened or color adjusted. The images use the AdobeRGB profile.

Imaging and processing equipment

Book Scanner: BookEye 4 V1A Professional

Overhead Scanner: Cruse CS 220 ST

The documents on OPenn