Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI | |
LJS 191 Treatise on astronomy and astrology
TitleTreatise on astronomy and astrology
Other related names
- Alleyn, James, former owner
- Stanitz, John D, former owner
Call numberLJS 191
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9950320043503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- ca. 1496
Treatise in nine chapters addressing ephemerides, astrological signs, planets, their aspects, fixed stars (veryfied the yere of our lorde 1496, f. 8v), weather forecasting, and favorable days for various activities. Followed by three canons for favorable times for bloodletting, giving medicine, and planting (f. 15r-18v). With one table relating the signs of the zodiac and the planets (f. 3r). A note in a later hand on the flyleaf following the manuscript refers to conditions from the beginning of March or from the vernal equinox to the summer solstice.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent18 leaves : 190 x 140 (170 x 112) mm. bound to 197 x 150 mm
FoliationPaper, ii (modern) + ii + 18 + ii + ii (modern); 1¹⁶ 2²; 1-18, contemporary foliation in ink, lower right recto.
BindingModern calf, formerly stab-sewn.
- Formerly owned by James Alleyn (signature in another part of parent manuscript).
- Parent manuscript formerly held in the library of the Marquesses of Bute, Ms. 13.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's as part of the Bute collection, 13 June 1983, lot 32 (part 7).
- Appears in H. P. Kraus's cat. 180 (1988), no. 133.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 22.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Astrology--Early works to 1800
- Astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Ephemerides--Early works to 1800
- Tables (documents)
- Manuscripts, English (Middle)--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts LJS 191: Treatise on astronomy and astrology are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- fol. 3r — Table, f. 3r
Inside front cover
0203_0001.tif (58.6 MB)
0203_0001_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
0203_0001_web.jpg (219.0 KB)
0203_0014.tif (58.6 MB)
0203_0014_thumb.jpg (7.8 KB)
0203_0014_web.jpg (457.7 KB)
Decoration: Table, f. 3r