Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI | |
LJS 38 Prayers and commentary.
TitlePrayers and commentary.
Other related names
- Ilyās ibn Khamzah ʻAlī Niyat ʻAlī ibn Khamzah, active 1484, scribe
الياس بن خمزه علي نيت علي بن خمزه, d
- Schiller, Johann Michael, 17th cent, former owner
- Ess, Leander van, 1772-1847, former owner
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberLJS 38
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageArabic, with commentary in Ottoman Turkish
- A.H. 889 (1484)
Collection of prayers in Arabic, each preceded by a commentary in Ottoman Turkish, with a diagram (f. 217v) and information at the end for calculating the direction of Mecca from different latitudes. Sections of copious marginal notes at the end of the manuscript (f. 185r-186r, 192r-201v, 208r-209v, 216v-220r). Later notes and pen trials in naskh script on front flyleaf.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent221 leaves : 140 x 100 (83 x 62) mm. bound to 140 x 112 mm
CollationPaper, i + 221; 1⁶ 2¹² 3⁸ 4¹² 5⁸ 6¹² 7⁸ 8¹²(-2) 9⁸ 10⁷ 11-12⁶ 13-15¹⁰ 16⁸ 17-19¹⁰ 20¹² 21⁸ 22² 23⁸ 24² 25⁸ 26¹⁰; 1-108, [i], 109-220, later European foliation in ink, upper left recto. Catchwords on each leaf, lower left verso.
BindingDark brown leather over pasteboard with flap (Type II); gilt stamped central medallion with two pendants on the vertical axis on covers, coordinating stamp on flap; reddish leather doublure; labels on spine; description of manuscript in German on note pasted to inside upper cover.
Black or red woodcut fillet border on each page; rubrications in red or green ink; some leaves stained yellow or red.
- Formerly owned by Johann Michael Schiller, 1655 (inscription inside lower cover; another 17th-century inscription on the inside lower cover is not legible).
- Formerly owned by Leander van Ess; sold as part of his collection in 1823 to Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 757 (spine label, stamp and number in ink on f. 1 recto).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 26 Nov. 1968, lot 245, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Islam--Prayers and devotions--Early works to 1800
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuscripts, Arabic--15th century
- Manuscripts, Turkish--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts LJS 38: Prayers and commentary. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Foldout note, Side 2
0327_0001.tif (25.3 MB)
0327_0001_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
0327_0001_web.jpg (355.4 KB)
Inside front cover
0327_0003.tif (17.8 MB)
0327_0003_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
0327_0003_web.jpg (399.5 KB)
Foldout note, Side 1
0327_0004.tif (22.4 MB)
0327_0004_thumb.jpg (7.3 KB)
0327_0004_web.jpg (455.9 KB)
ljs38_test_ref_1.tif (111.8 MB)
ljs38_test_ref_1_thumb.jpg (2.8 KB)
ljs38_test_ref_1_web.jpg (136.9 KB)