Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI | |
LJS 381 Crispi Sallustii de Catheline conjuracione liber
TitleCrispi Sallustii de Catheline conjuracione liber
- Sallust, 86-34 B.C
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Other related names
- Maffei, Mario, 1463-1537, former owner
- Carilli, Clemente, former owner
- Saccardini, Giuseppe Antonio, former owner
Call numberLJS 381
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- between 1455 and 1465?
Humanist copy of Sallust's works on the history of Rome, with contemporary and later annotations, including alternate readings, some of which were incorporated into the text as corrections.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from rubrics (f. 1r, 53r).
- 2. f.53r-160v: Jugurtinum bellum.
- 1. f.1r-53r: De Catheline conjuracione liber.
Extent160 leaves : 172 x 112 (111 x 72) mm bound to 184 x 120 mm
FoliationParchment, i + 160 + i; 1-160 ; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary Italian blind-tooled goatskin over wooden boards; remnants of three clasps and red silk straps, one in the center of each edge; spine largely gone; pastedowns and conjugate flyleaves from a 14th-century manuscript, possibly a grammatical text, written in littera bononiensis with red or blue initials with contrasting flourishing, very faded.
1 6-line illuminated initial in blue, red, and green on gold (f. 1r); 1 5-line initial in gold on a shaped ground of white vine work filled with red, green, and blue (f. 53v); partially effaced coat of arms (f. 1r); 2- and 3-line initials alternately in red or blue; rubrics and some annotations in faded red ink.
- Sold at auction at Christie's, 7 June 2000, lot 9, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Copied for and owned by members of the Maffei family of Volterra, west of Siena (coat of arms, f. 1r; erased inscription of Mario Maffei and possible 16th-century reference to his descendents, verso of back flyleaf).
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Formerly owned by Clemented Carilli da Volterra, 17th century (inscription, f. 155v).
- Formerly owned by Giuseppe Antonio Saccardini di Volterra dated 1666 (verso of back flyleaf).
- Jugurthine War, 111-105 B.C
- Rome--History--Conspiracy of Catiline, 65-62 B.C
- codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- Manuscripts, Latin--15th century
- histories (literary works)
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts LJS 381: Crispi Sallustii de Catheline conjuracione liber are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
Inside front cover
0276_0001.tif (43.8 MB)
0276_0001_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
0276_0001_web.jpg (345.7 KB)
Decoration: Reused manuscript leaf, Inside front cover
0276_0004.tif (43.6 MB)
0276_0004_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
0276_0004_web.jpg (314.1 KB)
Section: De Catheline conjuracione liber, f. 1r
Decoration: Illuminated initial, Initial O, f. 1r
Decoration: Illustration, Coat of arms, f. 1r
0276_0108.tif (43.8 MB)
0276_0108_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
0276_0108_web.jpg (311.2 KB)
Section: Jugurtinum bellum, f. 53r
0276_0109.tif (43.8 MB)
0276_0109_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
0276_0109_web.jpg (272.5 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated initial, Initial F, f. 53v
Inside back cover
0276_0326.tif (43.8 MB)
0276_0326_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
0276_0326_web.jpg (335.0 KB)
Decoration: Reused manuscript leaf, Inside back cover