Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize LJS 419 Erbario
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Other related names
- Gomes, Rafael, former owner
- Schiller, Henri, former owner
- Richmond, Carleton R, former owner
- Olschki, Leo S. 1861-1940, former owner
Call numberOversize LJS 419
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageItalian and Latin
Illustrated herbal with three styles of illustration: one group of illustrations following medieval conventions, sometimes with fantastic elements such as human faces, on recto pages through most of the manuscript; another, rougher but more generally somewhat more naturalistic group in ink outline, on verso pages or added alongside earlier color illustrations; and a third group of naturalistic color illustrations of plants including roots, leaves, flowers and fruit on verso pages. Approximately a quarter of the illustrations are accompanied by notes on medicinal properties and preparations of the plants, written in the same ink as the ink outline illustrations, mostly in Italian (the Italian usage suggests the text was written in the Veneto), but occasionally in Latin or a mix of both languages; the notes are written around and sometimes over the illustrations.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from upper cover.
Extent100 leaves : 245 x 176 mm bound to 254 x 190 mm
CollationPaper, 100; 1¹ 2¹⁰(-1) 3-10⁸ 11³ 12⁸(-1) 13-14⁸; [i], 1-99, foliation in ink, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary (15th-century) limp parchment; remnants of ties on 3 sides; Erbario in ink on upper cover.
- Formerly owned by Carleton R. Richmond, president of the Boston Athenaeum and the American Antiquarian Society; sold at auction as part of his collection at Sotheby Parke Bernet (New York), 30 Oct. 1981, lot 68.
- Formerly owned by Leo S. Olschki; sold at auction as part of his collection at William S. Kündig (Geneva), sale 95 (23 June 1948), lot 42.
- Sold by Sam Fogg to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, June 2001.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Formerly owned by Rafael Gomes (signature on bottom band pasted to f. 1r).
- Formerly owned by Henri Schiller (Paris).
- Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2019.
- Materia medica--Early works to 1800
- Botany, Medical--Early works to 1800
- Botany--Pictorial works--Early works to 1800
- codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- Manuscripts, Italian--15th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--15th century
- herbals (reference sources)
- 15th century
- Science -- Medicine
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize LJS 419: Erbario are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
0265_0001.tif (41.8 MB)
0265_0001_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
0265_0001_web.jpg (284.8 KB)