Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize LJS 48 Instrumenta feudorum castri Sone
TitleInstrumenta feudorum castri Sone
- Frederick III, Elector of Saxony, 1463-1525
- Bembo, Bernardo, 1433-1519
- Trevisan, Angelo, d. 1507 or 8
- Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor, 1459-1519
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Other related names
- Ruffo, Francesco di Andrea, scribe
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
- Cron, B. S, former owner
- Abbey, J. R. 1896-1969, former owner
- Medico, Alessandro di Nicolo, scribe
Call numberOversize LJS 48
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9949377603503681
- https://openn.library.upenn.edu/Data/0001/html/ljs48.html http://hdl.library.upenn.edu/1017.12/366278 http://hdl.library.upenn.edu/1017/d/medren/4937760 http://hdl.library.upenn.edu/1017.12/1333030 https://colenda.library.upenn.edu/catalog/81431-p3n64g
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Notarial copies of decrees and grants relating to Giovanni Faella of Verona and his family, mostly written by imperial notary Francesco di Andrea Ruffo in 1504, with a long addition by imperial notary Alessandro di Nicolo Medico dated 1530.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (f. 3r).
- 4. f.13v-15r: [Degree of doctor of civil law granted by the university of Padua to Giovanni Faella, 1480]
- 3. f.9r-13r: [Grant of the title of Count of Sona and Count Palatine to Giovanni Faella, his brothers, and their descendants; and grant of title of doctor of canon and civil law to Giovanni Faella, 1468, with later notarial signatures, 1502 / Emperor Frederick III]
- 7. f.18r-18v: [Order to Giovanni Lodovico Faella to accompany Matthaeus Lang, imperial vicar general in Italy, from Mantua on an embassy to Pope Julius II in Rome, 1511 / Emperor Maximilian I]
- 8. f.19v-23v: [Deed of purchase of land by Giovanni di Jacopo Faella, dated 1411]
- 2. f.3r-8v: [Grants by lords of Verona to successive members of the Faella family dated 1332-1406]
- 1. f.1v-2r: [Later additions of epitaph for wife of Cyrillo Faella and 3 decrees dated 1486-1489, addressed to Johannes Faella, then podestà of Trento, by various bishops of Trent]
- 5. f.15r: [Passport issued for Giovanni Faella as Veronese envoy to the doge of Venice, 1503 / Bernardo Bembo, podestà of Verona]
- 6. f.15r-17r: [Official documents related to Giovanni Faella's work as architect: from Leonardo Loredano, doge of Venice, on the cathedral church of Verona; and from podestàs Bernardo Bembo and Angelo Trevisan on the Ponte della Pietra, the Ponte Piagnola, and the Ponte Navium, dated 1502-1504]
Extent26 leaves : 305 x 187 (224 x 113) mm bound to 310 x 185 mm
CollationParchment, 26 + i (parchment); 1² 2-3¹⁰ 4⁴; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingOriginal Veronese calf over wooden boards, blind-tooled; 4 catches, no clasps; rebacked.
1 11-line illuminated initial (f. 3r) and 3 illuminated initials (4- to 8-line) in left margins (f. 6v, 9r, 13v) by a pupil or follower of Veronese illuminator Felice Feliciano; red and blue paragraph marks on one opening (f. 3v-4r).
- Appears in Alan Thomas' cat. 18 (1967), no. 4.
- Formerly owned by J. R. Abbey, ms. no. JA 7387, 17 June 1967 (London; bookplate inside upper cover; inscription inside lower cover).
- Formerly owned by B. S. Cron, Kew, 1 July 1965 (inscription inside upper cover).
- Sold at auction at Internationaal Antiquariaat (Amsterdam), 22 March 1961, lot 915.
- Sold at auction at Christie's, 3 Apr. 1996, lot 8.
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, June 1996.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 20 June 1978, lot 2992.
- Appears in H. P. Kraus' cat. 159 (1981), no. 9; handled subsequently by Martin Breslauer.
- Faella, Giovanni
- Verona (Italy)--Buildings, structures, etc
- codices (bound manuscripts)
- notarial documents
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize LJS 48: Instrumenta feudorum castri Sone are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
- fol. 3r — Illuminated initial, Initial I, f. 3r
- fol. 6v — Decorated initial, Initial I, f. 6v
- fol. 9r — Illuminated initial, Initial F, f. 9r
- fol. 13v — Decorated initial, Initial I, f. 13v
- fol. 17r — Notarial signet, f. 17r
- fol. 23v — Notarial signet, f. 23v
Inside front cover
0216_0001.tif (115.6 MB)
0216_0001_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
0216_0001_web.jpg (247.4 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
0216_0006.tif (115.6 MB)
0216_0006_thumb.jpg (4.3 KB)
0216_0006_web.jpg (229.9 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated initial, Initial I, f. 3r
0216_0013.tif (115.6 MB)
0216_0013_thumb.jpg (4.3 KB)
0216_0013_web.jpg (237.4 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial, Initial I, f. 6v
0216_0018.tif (115.6 MB)
0216_0018_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
0216_0018_web.jpg (237.5 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated initial, Initial F, f. 9r
0216_0027.tif (115.6 MB)
0216_0027_thumb.jpg (4.3 KB)
0216_0027_web.jpg (285.8 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial, Initial I, f. 13v
0216_0034.tif (115.6 MB)
0216_0034_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
0216_0034_web.jpg (200.6 KB)
Decoration: Notarial signet, f. 17r
0216_0047.tif (115.6 MB)
0216_0047_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
0216_0047_web.jpg (208.4 KB)
Decoration: Notarial signet, f. 23v
Inside back cover
0216_0056.tif (115.6 MB)
0216_0056_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
0216_0056_web.jpg (195.9 KB)