Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI | |
LJS 61 Register of writs
TitleRegister of writs
- England. Sovereign (1399-1413 : Henry IV)
- England and Wales. Sovereign (1553-1558 : Mary I)
Other related names
- Nevill, Robert, 1404-1457, former owner
- Babthorpe, William, former owner
- Fowle, Nicolas, former owner
- Thomson, Thomas, former owner
- Clarke, Adam, ca. 1762-1832, former owner
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberLJS 61
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9949523793503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageLatin, Middle French, and some words in Middle English (f. 214v)
London, ca. 1407, 1427
Register of writs from regnal year 13 of Richard II (1390) to regnal year 8 of Henry IV (1407). Subjects of writs include lands and manors held by various men from the King; instructions to the King's bailiffs; tenancies and inheritances; and ecclesiastical holdings and prebendaries. The register is preceded by an alphabetical index covering more than half the register (f. 1r-151v) and followed by a subject index covering the remainder of the register (f. 152v-204r). 6 writs from the reign of Mary I were added in the 16th century on blank pages before the second index (f. 204v-205v). Following the second index are three menus, written in a mix of Middle French, Middle English, and Latin, for dinners probably given at Oxford and London in 1427 and 1428. One was for the commencement of Robert Nevill, another for Robert or Richard Babthorpe, and the third for unspecified sargeants.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent231 leaves : 256 x 174 (210 x 131) mm. bound to 272 x 190 mm
FoliationParchment, 231 + i (paper); [i-xvi, 1-4], 5- 27, [i], 28-30, 30-75, 78-151, 151-214; near-contemporary foliation in ink, lower right recto. Contemporary foliation in ink in the upper center margin that starts over again (f. 152) suggests that this manuscript was originally divided into 2 volumes. Modern pagination in pencil, somewhat irregular, lower right recto. References in this record refer to the near-contemporary foliation.
BindingLate 15th-century calf over wooden boards with remains of 2 metal clasps but no catches; blind-tooled.
Spaces left for initials at beginnings of sections (f. 1r, 97r, 152r); occasional manicules (for example, f. 9r, 126v); small drawing of crown (f. 161r).
- Possibly first owned by Robert Nevill, Bishop of Salisbury, or William Babthorpe; later owned by Nicolas Fowle (15th-century, effaced inscriptions, f. 151v, 214v), Thomas Thomson (late 15th-/early 16th-century inscriptions, f. 151v, 214r), and Adam Clarke (probably his spine label LXXXVIII).
- Probably sold at auction at Sotheby's as part of the Clarke library, 21 May 1838.
- Sold by Baynes and Co. to Sir Thomas Phillipps (ms. 10349, f. i recto).
- Offered but not sold at auction at Sotheby's, 5 June 1899, lot 32.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 1 May 1903, lot 957, and at Christie's, 26 June 1996, lot 16.
- Sold by Sam Fogg (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, June 1996.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2010.
- Writs--England--Early works to 1800
- Courts--England--Early works to 1800
- Judicial records
- Manuscripts, Latin--15th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts LJS 61: Register of writs are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
- fol. 9r — Manicule, f. 9r
- fol. 16v — Decorated catchword, f. 16v
- fol. 88v — Decorated catchword, f. 88v
- fol. 104v — Decorated catchword, f. 104v
- fol. 120v — Decorated catchword, f. 120v
- fol. 126v — Manicule, f. 126v
- fol. 128v — Decorated catchword, f. 128v
- fol. 136v — Decorated catchword, f. 136v
- fol. 144v — Decorated catchword, f. 144v
- fol. 151v — Owner signature, f. 151v
Inside front cover
0295_0001.tif (46.7 MB)
0295_0001_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
0295_0001_web.jpg (283.0 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
0295_0034.tif (46.7 MB)
0295_0034_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
0295_0034_web.jpg (367.8 KB)
Section: Writs of the reign of Richard II, f. 1r
0295_0050.tif (46.7 MB)
0295_0050_thumb.jpg (6.1 KB)
0295_0050_web.jpg (405.9 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 9r
0295_0065.tif (46.7 MB)
0295_0065_thumb.jpg (6.4 KB)
0295_0065_web.jpg (415.9 KB)
Decoration: Decorated catchword, f. 16v
0295_0209.tif (46.7 MB)
0295_0209_thumb.jpg (6.9 KB)
0295_0209_web.jpg (427.7 KB)
Decoration: Decorated catchword, f. 88v
0295_0226.tif (46.7 MB)
0295_0226_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
0295_0226_web.jpg (415.3 KB)
Section: Writs of the reign of Henry IV, f. 97r
0295_0241.tif (46.7 MB)
0295_0241_thumb.jpg (6.9 KB)
0295_0241_web.jpg (429.1 KB)
Decoration: Decorated catchword, f. 104v
0295_0273.tif (46.7 MB)
0295_0273_thumb.jpg (7.2 KB)
0295_0273_web.jpg (454.3 KB)
Decoration: Decorated catchword, f. 120v
0295_0285.tif (46.7 MB)
0295_0285_thumb.jpg (6.1 KB)
0295_0285_web.jpg (379.2 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 126v
0295_0289.tif (46.7 MB)
0295_0289_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
0295_0289_web.jpg (380.4 KB)
Decoration: Decorated catchword, f. 128v
0295_0305.tif (46.7 MB)
0295_0305_thumb.jpg (6.9 KB)
0295_0305_web.jpg (460.2 KB)
Decoration: Decorated catchword, f. 136v
0295_0321.tif (46.7 MB)
0295_0321_thumb.jpg (6.6 KB)
0295_0321_web.jpg (449.7 KB)
Decoration: Decorated catchword, f. 144v
0295_0335.tif (46.7 MB)
0295_0335_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
0295_0335_web.jpg (400.6 KB)
Decoration: Owner signature, f. 151v